CORNWALL'S ELITE AIRSOFT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CORNWALL'S ELITE AIRSOFT

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New guy with lots of questions

Go down 
+5
vickster
slick63
iimmy_826
sallymander
sigee
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sigee

New guy with lots of questions Empty
PostSubject: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi
Im Si and I would realy like to give airsoft a go but I am unsure if I would be any good.I will explain.
I suffer from M.E. also known as C.F.S. So I do tend to tire quickly.
Now I go hunting as and when my health allows and I can sneak around my shoot hunting far cleverer things than your avarage human but I tend to sneak around for a while and then rest up for a while.
I wouldnt want to turn up for a game at Davidstow and then find I let my team down because I needed a break.
Some days I feel almost human again and some times it can hit me after an hour or two of starting something active.
Although Iv hunted for over 25 years I know nothing about airsoft apart from the gear which I have loads of (im a collector).
So should I give up the idea or should I book a day at Davidstow and see how it goes. Im in Camelford so just 2 miles from the airfield.
Is airsoft very active with lots of running around or are there roles that are a little more sedate ?.
Any advice would be very welcome.

Si
Back to top Go down
http://www.sgknives.co.uk
sallymander

sallymander

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi Si

Davidstow is quite a big site so there is a lot of running around. I've only been 3 times but I can definitely say it is a physical activity. It tends to be crawling/crouching interspersed with bursts of fast running to get from cover to cover.

If you had a sniper rifle then maybe you could stay back a bit, move a bit less? I'm not sure.

I reckon your best bet would be to come down in the morning and see if you can manage the first game of the day. Maybe speak to the organisers so they could run it in a piece of woodland close to the car park (i.e. so you don't have to walk half a mile before you even start skirmishing).

As for letting your team down, it's a fairly relaxed group of people so I don't think anyone would mind if you had to drop back and rest or drop out entirely. Just don't volunteer to be the essential team member who has to run from A to B and back again Wink

Suck it and see? Hope to see you on Sunday Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
sigee

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 11:39 pm

Hi sallymander
Thanks for the reply.I can manage short runs from cover to cover ok so thats good to know.
I wouldnt want or expect the organisers to work around my M.E. and I can easily manage a half mile walk.
My only consern is that later in the day I will start to get worn out,slow and stiff but if Im not essential and the other players dont mind then I should be ok.
Im trying to find a way to describe how useful/useless I am....
Imagine that at the start of the day I am 44 years old and just a little bit out of condition but after 3 or 4 hours I would be like a very over weight 60 year old heavy smoker lol.

Si
Back to top Go down
sallymander

sallymander

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 12:46 am

sigee wrote:
Hi sallymander
My only consern is that later in the day I will start to get worn out,slow and stiff but if Im not essential and the other players dont mind then I should be ok.
Im trying to find a way to describe how useful/useless I am....
Imagine that at the start of the day I am 44 years old and just a little bit out of condition but after 3 or 4 hours I would be like a very over weight 60 year old heavy smoker lol.

Sounds like all of us, seriously! I nearly had to pull out cos of a dodgy knee, one other guys back was giving him gip, one lady had to pull out altogether for the afternoon session cos of a dicky hip. Rolling Eyes

I think you'll be fine. Sounds like you have the skills and knowledge to be able to take out a fair few people Twisted Evil and at the end of the day, a hot bath is only 2 miles away Smile

Back to top Go down
iimmy_826

iimmy_826

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 2:07 am

hey I have hip problems and so does another well I would say lady but that's another story you won't let team down if they all know what's happeneding I.e with what you suffer from the other players are all understanding and at the end of the day its only a game so it wouldn't really matter I hope your condition doesn't stop you from playing this great sport/hobbie Smile
Back to top Go down
slick63

slick63

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 2:48 am

Hi Si,
I `wouldn`t worry too much about fitness, there`s all sorts who play the game. It`s not all running around and jumping about. I`m 49 and used to smoke like a train so I tend to hobble about the site a lot of the time by myself. Last time I went I lasted until about 2.30 in the afternoon and then stood around yapping.
Back to top Go down
sigee

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 5:22 am

Thanks for the reassuring replies guy's.
I was a little worried about elite-ism as I have seen mention of that on other sites.
slick63 I may end up joining you at the back lol.
Thanks again sallymander.Once I get one of my guns setup (I havent even fired one outside of my garden yet) I should be able to sneek around and pop a few shots off in semi auto.
Im a dab hand with a silenced pcp or moderated .22 rimmy so maybe I should look into getting a sniper rifle as I dont like the idea of spray and prey.
I may not be able to make the next Davidstow game but if not I will deffinately join you all for the one after.
I do have loads more question about rules, do's and dont's,what gear to where etc but I wont bore you all right now.
Thanks again

Si
Back to top Go down
vickster

vickster

PostSubject: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 6:18 am

Hi Smile

I only managed 3 hours in my first davidstow skirmish as have dodgy hip...is very tiring getting in and out of the trenches. Maybe trying Tresilian first would be better? is bit flatter and you can get a feel for the game too.

And as they have all said above dont worry if you have to sit out and rest for every other game etc (thats what i sometimes have to do).

And Emma........bloody cheek!! affraid

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
soapy

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 9:00 am

Hi mate dont worry about the fitness thing I've been playing for 6-7yrs and have had the honour of playing with people of all fitness levels including players with major organ failer /damaged limbs /nerve damage i myself have arthritis in my knees . The great thing about this game is theres so many ways to play it and at the end of the day dont worry about not being first on the attack the main thing is that you have fun and meet a great bunch of lads
Back to top Go down
sigee

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi Vickster.Sitting out the odd game may be an option towards the end of the day.Roughly how many games do you play in a day and what type of games ?.
soapy the last part of your post was just what I wanted to hear.I spend far too much time alone these days so having fun and making some new friends sounds good to me.
Thanks to the friendly and helpful responce here I have decided I am going to take up airsoft.
The only trouble now is I think I need to buy at least two new guns,a sniper rifle and a plastic M4 because as a collector I only brought full metal guns that are heavy.
Thankfully my wife earns good money and loves guns to.She will probably join me for a game when she isnt working.

Si
Back to top Go down
soapy

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 11:08 pm

In my experiance the plastic body m4s arnt that much lighter than the metal ones as most of the wght is from the battery /gear box /mag and ammo. Better thing to do would to invest in a decent sling ether 2pt or 3pt. and a light belt or chest set up and rememball u really need for a game other than gun and cammo is spare ammo and water. Dont be tempted to carry loads of crap like torch /spare batts /maps /camera /packed lunch /body armour /tool kit etc as most of the time u will never need them.
Back to top Go down
sigee

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 12:28 am

Thanks for the advice soapy but dont tell the wife as its a great excuse to buy more guns lol.
After 25 years hunting Iv got loads of bags,rucksacks,molle gear etc but my camo coat has so many huge pockets that I probably wont need anything else.
So It looks like all I need is a sling of some kind and 1 or 2 extra mags for my kwa m4a1.Any advice what and where to buy cheap ?.

Oh what about a side arm ?.Iv got a kwa 226 and a kwa ingram that are great fun but again they are heavy.Are they needed ?

Si
Back to top Go down
slick63

slick63

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 12:55 am

Quote :
Oh what about a side arm ?
It`s up to you whether you want to carry one. I`ve never bothered in 9 years of playing, but some people like to have a back up gun.
All I carry is my rifle, 3 mags, spare gun battery, and some water, plus of course a bag of BBs.
Some people just go out with their rifle and a couple of bombed up mags, so it`s all down to individual preferences. If the gun breaks or they run out of ammo it`s only a short walk to the safezone anyway.
My gun has gone down several times over the years but I normally just pick up my camera and take a few pics instead, it`s very much a case of do what makes you happy.
Back to top Go down
vickster

vickster

PostSubject: New guy with lots if questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 1:29 am

Don't forget chocolate too in your pack lol!!

Game times vary, you can get ones that roll from one to next so can last three hours and others that are hour long just short ones, depends on how many players there are as well.
Back to top Go down
sigee

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 9:43 am

Right I will leave the side arm for now and just bring the ingram as a back up in case my m4 goes wrong.
I think I can manage 1-3 hours ok before I need a sit down.Im sure the adrenaline will keep me going.
I will pack some kendle mint cake to. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vickster

vickster

PostSubject: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 9:31 am

Have fun tomo you lot Smile I had hoped I be there but not possible. See you all soon
Back to top Go down
vickster

vickster

PostSubject: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:07 am

Si, did you make it to the game on Sunday?
Back to top Go down
sigee

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:33 am

vickster wrote:
Si, did you make it to the game on Sunday?

No I couldnt make it due to two things.
1 Family meal at the pub in St Brewerd.
2 Bloomin arthritis in my shoulder is playing up.

Im realy hoping to be able to make the next one at Davidstow,health and weather permitting.
Iv managed to get a spare mag for my m4 and Im now looking for a mesh half face mask (I want to keep my teeth)

Si
Back to top Go down
vickster

vickster

PostSubject: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 am

Mask is a must at Davidstow, i keep getting told off for not wearing mine as have to mold it a bit more to be comfy. Fingers crossed you make the next one Smile
Back to top Go down
sallymander

sallymander

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 12:22 am

Yep, my second game at Davidstow I was nailed in the face so many times, got hit in the teeth as well. Went out next day and bought a mesh mask!! It's not 100% comfy but after a bit of bending I can manage all day and I have no bleeding welts on my face and all my teeth Very Happy

Back to top Go down
vickster

vickster

PostSubject: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 12:26 am

Yeah hurts like hell and not good for going into work the following week with red bruises over face lol and trying to remember to not smile during game is hard lol don't want another 'arfer' tooth incident Smile
Back to top Go down
sigee

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 1:31 am

Im watching a couple on fleabay and should have one in time.
Iv got a pair of bobster foamer impact resistant sun glasses which should be up to the job or should I buy some thing just for airsoft ? .

Si
Back to top Go down
sigee

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 6:37 am

Ok Iv got a load of questions regarding Airsoft Assault Cornwall and airsoft in general.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

What range should I zero my sights for and what group sizes can I expect from a standard kwa M4A1 downgraded at the shop from new to around 320fps ?.
I imagine that compared to my pcp's that can put pellet on pellet at 50 yards on a calm day airsoft guns are pretty inaccurate.
What would be the best bb's to use that don't cost a fortune (im useing Fireball .20 from Trago at the moment)
What rules are in effect fps,safety,equipment etc ?.
Do you use the "bang rule" and how do you tell teams apart etc ?.
Anything else that I haven't mentioned that you think would help.

Sorry for all the simple questions but I am a newbie.

Si

Back to top Go down
vickster

vickster

PostSubject: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 6:41 am

Most people use the bang rule, and usually we either have tape or bands to tell teams apart, all the rest sorry cant help as im a numpty for the tech stuff lol
Back to top Go down
RoadRunner

RoadRunner

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 10:20 am

i i were u i wouldn't get too serious about zeroing your sights, each engagement varies so much it doesn't really matter and split second corrections are best.
my kwa km4 fires at about 350 straight out the box so i reckon u'l be fine.
bb's are sold on site and are excellent quality and come in a variety of weights and quantities.
if you really want bb's i'd recommend anything from either airsoft world, action hobbies or zeroone.
for safety equipment glasses/goggles/mask's are a must i think they can get tested by marshals (shot) just to make sure. and i think most other stuff is optional, i used to just play in a t-shirt.
most people use the bang rule as its considered a courtesy, i just feel humiliated and would rather someone shot me on semi auto.
and fps limits are 350 for full auto which is what im guessing ur using

hope this helps

toby
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy with lots of questions   New guy with lots of questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New guy with lots of questions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next